Re: [evince] How to build from source on ubuntu lucid

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 11:25:51PM +0100, BM wrote:
> Hello,
> could somebody please post a tutorial on how to build an evince copy
> from source on Ubuntu (lucid)? I'm interested in building a modified
> copy of evince (I'd like to add background/font colour change
> selection component) but now I really got stuck (after all hard work
> of understanding what libraries I need to add and finally succeeding
> to compile the source I get "/usr/local/lib/evince/2/backends" when
> running  ./shell/evince .
> Why it is trying to open that directory, why the original evince
> executable doesn't crash for the same reason?
> If I should set some kind of variable, why the script didn't asked me to? )
> I think a good "how-to, (I mean step-by step)" is the answer to all my
> questions and also a good starting point for persons that would like
> to develop open source.

What source are you trying to build? Latest evince depends on gtk3 and
in lucid you should use jhbuild to build or build each dependency by
hand.

How are you building it? You run autogen.sh? configure? did you add a
--prefix option to autogen/configure?

I think the problem that you have is the --prefix. You don't set a
--prefix and don't make a "make install", so the code try to get
things from standar prefix (/usr/local) but you don't have anything
there.

You can try that:

~/.../evince $ mkdir myevince
~/.../evince $ ./autogen.sh --prefix=$PWD/myevince
~/.../evince $ make
~/.../evince $ make install
~/.../evince $ ./myevince/bin/evince