Re: Evince for Windows doesn't appear to work under Windows 7 (x64) if more than 4 GB or memory is in the machine

Hi Lance,

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Lance Murray <lancekmurray gmail com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Evince for Windows doesn't appear to work under Windows 7 (x64) if
> more than 4 GB or memory is in the machine.  When I added 4 GB of
> memory to my Mac PowerBook (x86) for a total 8 GB of physical memory,
> Evince would no longer work.  Even tried WXP compatibility mode.
> Nothing helped.  Worked just fine before adding the memory.  All my
> other 32 bit apps I've tried still seem to work fine.

Thank you for diagnosing this problem. Can you please report this in
our bugzilla [1] ?

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this because I have no machine with
x64 nor 8 GB of memory.
Do you get any error messages when you start evince from the command
line in a console? (Please add your answer to bugzilla).

> How about a x64 bit version of Evince to work under x64 Windoze?  I'll
> buy you a pizza.  Keep up the good work.

The windows:mingw:win64 project builds a cross compiled version of
Evince for win64. Unfortunately, it does not package it into a windows
installer. Instead you have to download and unpack rpm packages
yourself. I think that if you use openSUSE you can just install the
mingw64-evince [3] package from that project and then just copy
/usr/i686-mingw64msvc/sys-root/mingw/* to your Windows 7 filesystem.
But be warned, I have no experience with it, so it might not work.

There currently is no win64 installer build because Wine was not
working on x64 before and I need Wine to run WiX to build the
installer.  But I think Wine works on x64 now, so I might look into
building a win64 instaler again, when I can find some time.

Cheers,

Hib Eris

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=evince
[2] https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=windows%3Amingw%3Awin64