Need printf to work while debugging

Dear Evince Developers,

As explored and found while debugging or in run mode when control transfers to GUI (evince window), I am not able to check intermediate results using printf. Even After closing GUI/ when control back to the command window, It does not displays the result of printf related with GUI window. It does print the result of before and after (GUI) printf statements.
Is there any way to check intermediate results using printf while debugging. Or I have to design gtk_window like message box/alertbox then how?

With regards
--
Leena C