Problem opening PDF file

I receive periodic updates to a contact list for an organization I belong to that is distributed in PDF format. The last two updates have been nearly totally unreadable in Evince but are readable in kpdf and acroread.

The underlying file is in .xls format created on Mac OS and saved in PDF 1.3 format. Looking at the Properties of two recent versions of this file, one pre-problem and one post-problem, the only difference I can see is that the Mac OS version has updated from 10.5.2 to 10.5.5.

The author of this file hasn't been able to identify any changes to his method of creating the PDF file recently that would offer a clue to the problem.

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 with the latest updates with Document Viewer 2.24.1. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Howard

Yes we can!
Yes we did!
Yes we will!