Re: Printing in evince

El jue, 18-09-2008 a las 17:16 +0200, Marek Kasik escribió:
> Hi all,
> I would like to change the way in which printing is processed in evince.
> Evince tries to prepare list of printed pages itself. But sometimes it
> doesn't do this right (Bug 397225, Bug 547646, Bug 549745, Bug 550125,
> Bug 455759, + some downstream bugs). It also doesn't implement new
> features (for example Page ordering).
> The way I would like to change the evince printing is to implement full
> GTK+ printing stack. The libgnomeprint support was removed from evince
> some time ago, so we can leave it whole on GTK+ printing infrastructure.
> There are also some inconveniences (problems with preview), but I think
> that it is worthwhile because of future maintenance.
> What do you think about this?

The problem is that it's not possible to render pages directly into the
cairo surface provided by the gtk_print_operation. We could use
poppler_page_render, but it would only work for the pdf backend. See the
discussion in gtk-devel-list
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-July/msg00092.html)

We need to export the printing selection to a ps file and then send it
to the printer.