Re: Proposal for GSOC 2008

В Чтв, 20/03/2008 в 06:34 +0530, Santosh vattam пишет:
> Hi all,
>   I am a student prospect for Google Summer of Code 2008. I had a look
> at the ideas list on gnome, which mentioned about this project idea
> about an "OCR library "LibAccroc" that is a generic OCR library for
> gnome using OCRopus and other engines". I saw the gnome 2.24 road map
> which had plans to implement an OCR for Evince. I want to pursue this
> as a Google summer of code project this year. Please guide me in this
> regard. Please give me suggestions about what are the  expectations
> from this project.
>
>        The OCR for Evince has now been removed from the road map for
> gnome 2.24. Is the idea still valid? Please help. Thanks in advance.

To be honest as is it's not a very appealing idea for me. First of all
like in all machine learning systems you have to understand how things
are working inside the OCR system. Do you have such experience?

Second, there are really several OCR engines but I don't think we must
provide unified library for them. We can just integrate with a single
one and develop it. Otherwise, we will not gain anything new just will
collect bad properties of every engine in a single library. As usual,
choose the single project, support and extend it. Some projects you
mentioned worth to support, some completely senseless. For example gocr
which is english-only by design and will not scale to multiple languages
as far as I know.

Always remember this:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/LeakyAbstractions.html

when you propose another generic layer of the system.

Otherwise, it would be nice to get OCR support integrated and that will
involve significant Evince changes too as well as will help with other
our problems (if done properly OCR rework can help with ally problems).
So everything depends on details.

Description: =?koi8-r?Q?=FC=D4=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=DE=C1=D3=D4=D8?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D3=CF=CF=C2=DD=C5=CE=C9=D1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=C1=CE=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=C3=C9=C6=D2=CF=D7=CF=CA?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=D8=C0?=