Implementing multiple file view( tab swap)

Well i am a programmer with decent experience in programming with
c/c++ . Currently i am having my summer vacations going on and was
thinking of contributing to open source in some way. I have been using
evince for few years now and feel that it should have the option to
view multiple page using tab swap. And i want to work for the same.So
can any developer give me some guidance where to start from(me being a
novice developer. If there is any other development work in which i
can contribute in some way, I will be more than willing to help.