Re: Evince for better ebook-reading experience

On Jan 10, 2008 12:39 PM, András Soltész <soltesz andras gmail com> wrote:
> - A setting that would make paging without displaying the same text twice.
> When this is activated, only full lines would appear on the screen (no half
> lines at the bottom) and when the user pushes PgDn Evince would show only
> from the line which was not seen previously. This is very important for
> continuous reading because with the current PgDn method (overlapping) it is
> very tiresome to find the line you were reading after you pushed PgDn. If
> the next view starts with only the yet read line, you don't need to find
> anything, you can be sure that what you see at the top of the screen is the
> next line you want to read.

The classic Postscript/PDF vewer gv (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gv)
had an interesting feature (search for scrollingEyeGuide in the docs):

  ...scrolling via the keyboard causes a  temporary border to be drawn
    around the previously visible area of  the page

The "border" normally boils down to a line showing where the lower edge
(when scrolling down) of the previous visible area was, visible for about
1 second after the scroll. Worked nicely for me to show where to focus
to continue reading.

Cheers, Roderich