Re: Still Font Discrepancies?

Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
Are those the real fonts or substitutes? Iirc Acrobat Reader includes some
special "generic" fonts that fit multiple metrics.

It's possible. I don't actually see Garamond anywhere, but it really looks like Helvetica Condensed. Perhaps they ship with font substitutions for their base font set included with most of their products, of which both of these are.

Regarding use friendliness, I wonder if it would make sense to display a
messagebox like some programs do that the document contains fonts that
are not on the system and the display might look odd.

Might be an idea, but a modal error/warning dialog is *not* good :)

I think a modal dialog with a "don't show me this again" checkbox would be okay, would it not?

Then, there could be a statusbar message that indicates this. Rather than text, perhaps a little icon of a crossed-out "F" or something that visually indicates the status and gives a description of it with a tooltip.

Does poppler have any way of detecting missing fonts? If it's trivial, I might try writing something up.

--Pat