Cups Printers not listed in print dialog

I have a very strange problem. On a new system I'm building, Evince doesn't see any cups printers. If I open firefox to 127.0.0.1:631 all my network printers are shown. If I open gedit and select File ==> Print, all the cups printers are shown. But Evince doesn't see them. Instead, it gives me the options:

- Print to File
- Print to LPR

I've rebuilt libgnomeprint and libgnomeprintui, as well as evince. I've tried evince-0.6.0 and 0.5.5. I'm using Gentoo, and have the cups use flag enabled ( and everything else - including gnome apps such as gedit, as above - can see cups printers ). I'm starting my session with:

dbus-launch startx

and nothing complains about dbus or cups or anything - including evince. I have also tried starting X without the dbus-launch bit.

I've posted to the Gentoo forums:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-500627-highlight-.html
and no-one has given any advice, but one other user posted that he has the same problem.

Any ideas?

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer