Re: poor results compared to xpdf and gpdf

Il giorno gio, 23/02/2006 alle 21.37 -0800, Jeffrey W. Baker ha scritto:
> I have this (3.6MB) PDF file:
>
> http://saturn5.com/~jwb/mueller.pdf
>
> ... which renders quite poorly in Evince 0.5.0.  The text characters are
> all on top of each other, and the line art looks terrible.  Here's a
> comparison of Evince, gpdf, and xpdf.  Only xpdf gives a satisfactory
> result.

It seems good rendered on both my installed Evince (0.4.x using splash
from Ubuntu 5.10 and 0.5.x using cairo on same system but under /opt)

> In this (380KB, 1680x1050) screenshot, Evince is in the foreground:
>
> http://saturn5.com/~jwb/evince-vs-gpdf-vs-xpdf.png
>
> Ignoring the scaling of the diagram, is there something that can be done
> on my local machine to make the text come out correctly in Evince?
> Perhaps some Type 1 font utilities are missing, or some fonts?

Evince says that fonts in this file are Times New Roman, Arial ans
Symbol (MS stuff). Maybe you have a trouble with font aliases. Try to
run gnome-system-monitor, select evince in processes list, then
View->Memory maps (this should list loaded fonts in memory too). Compare
it with other applications.

On my system, evince 0.5.x uses Vera.ttf, VeralIt.ttf, n01900[3,4]l.pbf,
n02100[3,4]l.pbf and n021023l.pbf (under /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/