Re: Help Opening PDF

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 16:52 -0500, Darryl Moore wrote:
> Hello list, I hope someone here might be able to answer a couple of
> questions. I did not see anything in the FAQ addressing my issue.
>
> I am trying to open a PDF. Specifically
> http://scouts.ca/media/documents/ScoutsAR0506.pdf. When I attempt to
> open it in Evince I get prompted for a password. I can however open it
> in Adobe Reader without need of a password. I thought that the PDF
> format was open now so I am confused.
>
> I know you need passwords for encrypted content, and obviously even with
> an open format you can't open an encrypted file without the password. So

And "Open Format" does not mean "You can read all texts in this format
freely" ;). The PDF format is still free (as I free beer, I think) but
not the content on the file.

> why can't evince open this file without the password?

Beacuse the PDF data is encrypted, and you need the correct password to
de-encrypt the content.

You can read more about this in the PDF Reference, Sixth Edition,
version 1.7 [1] (about 30Mb PDF file). Section 3.5 (page 115).

bye!

[1] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdf_reference.pdf
--
Ricardo Markiewicz // http://www.fi.uba.ar/~rmarkie/