Re: PDF Document Information.

Pat Suwalski <pat suwalski net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> As a nice simple project over the coming weeks, I was thinking of adding
> a PDF properties page to Evince. You know the type, with author and
> producer information, etc.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to make this so that it also appears as a tab in
> Nautilus' properties about the pdf file, much as Totem (or just gst?)
> extends with video and audio information. Clearly, I need to research
> this more.
>
> Everything I need is already in poppler's Xref, and xpdf's pdfinfo is a
> great reference implementation for grabbing document properties...
>
> Would I be duplicating work here? Would I be stepping on someone's toes
> with the properties page in Nautilus? Any objections?

I don't think anyone has looked into a properties page for nautilus.

It seems like a great project to tackle.  Marco was talking about adding
an info dialog to evince-proper, though I don't know if he has started
yet.  Fortunately for you, we just added support for most of the
metainfo to ev-document.c, with implementations for djvu, dvi, and pdf.
You may need to extend it a bit, but it should be straightforward to do
this.

Feel free to ask more questions here.

Good luck!
-Jonathan