Re: Deprecation path for NPAPI plugins

Michael Catanzaro schreef op 2018-03-28 20:11:
Hi,

Since we're still getting a steady stream of bug reports coming from
NPAPI plugins (and the gnome-shell browser plugin in particular), I'd
like to try again to deprecate these in Epiphany. My plan is that, in
Epiphany 3.30, NPAPI plugins will be disabled by default, and the UI
to enable plugins will be removed (both the preferences dialog UI and
about:plugins). But the enable-plugins GSetting will stay around, so
you can manually enable it if you need to use some legacy plugin.

Then in 2020, say Epiphany 3.38, I'll plan to remove the GSetting. So
you have the next two years to work on a migration plan. I believe all
browsers have already disabled non-Flash NPAPI plugins, and Adobe
support for Flash ends in 2020, so this seems pretty reasonable
timeline to me. Comments?

I would say: the sooner the better. Keeping the GSetting for two more years will require you to keeping around and testing all the affected code paths. My recommendation would be to make sure that it doesn't end up in any more LTS releases of major distros from now on.

Regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen