Re: Epiphany and extensions

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Nicolas Petton <nicolas petton fr> wrote:
That would be a great addition to Epiphany.  I know it targets regular
users more than developers, but even regular users are used to use a few
extensions for their web browser.

How big of a project would this be?

Big! That's why we're not currently planning to work on it. The WebExtensions API is large. We probably only need to target the subset of the API that's supported by Firefox, but that's still going to be a large amount. I'd be surprised if Mozilla doesn't have multiple developers working on this full time.

See: http://arewewebextensionsyet.com/

If you or anyone else wants to work on this (which would be awesome), please contact me before starting since we might want to do a few things a bit differently than other browsers. E.g. any APIs for adding stuff to the top bar will have to add stuff to the window menu instead, since we don't want extensions modifying that prime real estate.

Michael