Re: Upcoming UI changes

於 週四,2016-09-22 於 11:56 -0500,Michael Catanzaro 提到:
Hi,

We're working on some major UI changes for Epiphany 3.24, based on
[1].
I should have mailed this list to solicit feedback when we got the
mockup, we've had it nearly a year now. Sorry, I just didn't think to
do so. Anyway, we still have five months to make changes before UI
freeze, so there's plenty of time to complain if you see something
you don't like.

[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-
mockups/master/web/web-bookmarks-and-header-bar-wires.png

I have three comments about the header bar and the context menu here.

I think it is bad to show only the domain. I often have several tabs
opening different web pages from the same domain. If both the web page
title and the full URL are removed from the header bar, nothing in the
header bar will change when switching these tabs with keyboard, making
them look like a single page opened multiple times. If we want to make
the domain name more important than other parts of the URL, I think it
is better to highlight the domain name with different color in header
bar and keep full URL.

Is it possible to keep the web page title shown in the header bar? Most
desktop browsers show the title at the top of the window or using it as
the window title. It will be nice if Epiphany can keep this feature
because the URL is not always readable or useful.

Moving important functions such as viewing page source to the context
menu doesn't look good to me. Some web pages disable the context menu
or replacing the context menu with their own menus. If we don't keep
these functions in the hamburger menu, they becomes inaccessible to
users unless there are keyboard shortcuts bound to them, users remember
shortcuts, and web pages don't disable shortcuts. I even think we can
move 'Inspect Element' to the hamburger menu, so using the inspector on
web pages with context menu disabled can be easier.

Most other parts look good. It is nice to see the user interface being
updated.

Ting-Wei Lan