Re: bookmark toolbar is gone

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Adam Dingle <adam yorba org> wrote:
As of Epiphany 3.3.3 it appears I can no longer show bookmarks on a toolbar.  Looks like this vanished here:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/epiphany/commit/?id=2b63143ef7d712e62347536b363a16ad4953ad0c

Will this feature reappear soon in some other form in the new design?  Or is this going away forever?  I have several bookmarks that I visit many times every day and I need to be able to access them with a single click.  If this feature is vanishing, I'll need a plugin that can reimplement it for me, or I may have to switch to another browser.

I think a quick way of accessing bookmarks with the mouse (with the keyboard you can always use the location entry) might be a reasonable request, so it's worth revisiting it with the Design Team. As for the bookmarks bar we are just trying to minimize as much as possible the permanently visible UI elements in the screen, and we thought that overall the bookmarks bar was claiming too much space.

Of course an extension could be written to just add it back, probably re-using some of the code of the original. And please let's not go into the "If X does not happen I'll stop using epiphany". This is always a possibility and I understand some people might dislike the direction we are taking, but I don't think stating it as a "threat" in a discussion adds much value.

Cheers,

Xan

adam