Re: Stop Epiphany from opening File Manager

Il giorno sab, 09/01/2010 alle 08.14 -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo ha
scritto:
> El vie, 08-01-2010 a las 15:21 -0800, decomp505 escribió:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I enjoy using epiphany but I everytime I download a file, epiphany
> > opens my
> > file manager in the folder where the file was downloaded. I would
> > prefer not
> > to have epiphany perform this action. Is there any way to disable
> > this?
> >

> This is the default behavior when files are downloaded somewhere not in
> the Desktop, that's the Desktop itself or a folder in it.

maybe $XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR

> So downloading to /home/decomp/Desktop/incoming/ doesn't open nautilus,
> downloading to /home/decomp/projects/gnome/ *does* open nautilus.

Really? Currently I'm using epiphany only for testing, so I forgot its
behavior in common tasks...

> I have hit situations when this was a bit problematic, maybe a gconf key
> for it wouldn't be bad... mmm. Ideas, anyone?

We could also start to consider the idea to re-work the download system,
or at least compare it with other browsers (as usual, google chrome,
mozilla firefox and so on).

Epiphany seems to be the only one that, by default, automatically
downloads and open files, as well as the only one to not store download
history.

To be honest, I'm fine with it: I click on a link, the browser starts to
download the file, the file will be stored in $XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR and
automatically opened. Later I'll choose if I want to move downloaded
files in another location (for instance images in $XDG_PICTURES_DIR), so
I don't need the download history to reopen it (but could be useful to
check you habits).

About this current issue, I'm for an action-based solution:
      * the "Download" action will download and open the linked file; if
        the file is unrecognized, then the containing folder will be
        opened
      * the "Save as" action will allow you to choose location (and
        name), but will not open the downloaded file, nor the containing
        folder by default
      * Download action is the default one when left-clicking on a link
      * Save as action is available on right-clic popup menu

Of course this solution doesn't consider the case you want to download
and open a file with a specific application (see Firefox confirmation
dialog). The simplest way to perform this could be add a "Open folder
after download" checkbox in Save as dialog, then use file manager
features to choose application.