Re: Official SEED extension support for 2.28?

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Tim Horton <hortont424 gmail com> wrote:
>> The only thing I am concerned about is the stability of the SEED API in
>> the near future, maybe one of the developers could comment on this?
>> Currently SEED master seems to work fine with Epiphany master, but will
>> the be any more breakage before GNOME 2.28?
>
> The plan at the moment is to get to a reasonable level of stability within a
> very short timeframe, and formalize this around the time of the 1.0 release,
> in plenty of time for 2.28, I believe (Robb will correct me tomorrow, for
> sure, if any of this is inaccurate). In addition, I'm currently keeping an
> eye on Seed API changes that specifically affect Epiphany, as closely as I
> can...
>
> As for porting extensions, I'm up for working on porting (or writing new
> stuff, especially when we get DOM access) whatever anyone wants, just let me
> know!

Thinking out loud what should we do to get Seed support in good shape for 2.28:

- Go through all extensions, decide which ones we want to keep, and
port the non-C ones to Seed if possible.
- While doing this, open bugs for missing APIs in WebKit if that's not
done already.
- Write some compelling document explaining what benefits does Seed
bring compared to Python. If it comes with nice documentation we would
be already better off than what we used to be :)
- Related to the benefits, if we could get Seed to use the same JS
context group than WebKit we could do all sort of interesting things
that are basically impossible with Python. That would be the killer
feature IMHO. Maybe Robert or Tim can give an status update on this
one?

 Bottom line is, I'm not going to have a lot of time for this in this
cycle, but if someone steps up a bit I agree that it makes sense to do
all the big changes in 2.28 and then just polish after that. Otherwise
we might have to punt it to 2.30.

Cheers, Xan