Re: window/tab/plugin process isolation

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Jon Dowland <jon+epiphany alcopop org> wrote:
>> From my side, I'll think about it when ephy/webkit is
>> usable and relatively bug-free, but no promises :)
>
> In which case it's in my interests to help ephy/webkit reach
> that milestone :)
>
> What would help me immensely would be a worklist. Is there a
> current roadmap? I can only see the older ones in the wiki.
> Is the best place for a list of features missing in e/w
> present in e/g bugzilla? What are "low hanging fruit"
> features that a beginner might reasonably attempt to tackle
> - would middle click handling be one of those?

Thanks, it's great that you are considering to contribute.

About tasks, we have this page: http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany/WebKit228
It covers the big missing pieces before 2.28 though, so it's not
exactly 'low hanging fruit', just the most important regressions. The
bug you mention is already fixed in trunk (it still does not work with
target=_blank links, but we have a patch for that now).

I'd recommend the following:

- Install libsoup, gtk+/glib from trunk, gnome-keyring from trunk.
(you'll pretty much need all those)
- Install WebKit from trunk with --enable-gnomekeyring.
- Install epiphany from trunk.

Play with it a bit, figure out what bothers you must, and ask again
for help to try to fix it :)

One option would be to start implementing the migration process, which
shouldn't be too difficult. We already have persistent cookies, with
the same sqlite format than Mozilla, so you could start with:
- Check no migration has been run.
- See if the user has a cookies sqlite file in
.gnome2/epiphany/mozilla/epiphany/cookies.sqlite
- If he does, copy it .gnome2/epiphany/cookies.sqlite
- Put some marker indicating the migration has been done.

Next step would be to migrate all the passwords to gnome-keyring.

Other than that there's a series of small missing things that would
require doing a patch for both WebKit and epiphany (missing security
status, missing 'modified forms in this page' alert, etc), which are
not in the wiki, but maybe they should.

Cheers, Xan