(Solved) Re: Strange problem with preferred applications (PDF)

Magnus Therning wrote:
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Jan de Groot<jan jgc homeip net> wrote:
On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 06:45 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
After I installed the gimp epiphany started opening PDFs using it rather than
Document Viewer (evince).  At first it was easy to explain since gnome-open
behaved the same way.  A quick visit to Nautilus land later I had ticked
Document Viewer in the Open With tab and gnome-open went back to opening PDFs
using evince.  However, epiphany kept on insisting on using the gimp.  Even
worse, epiphany would ask me if I wanted to open the PDF in Document Viewer,
then it would try to open it in the gimp anyway.  The only solution I came up
with was to remove the gimp from my system.

This is on Arch, epiphany 2.26.2.

Has anyone else run into the same issue?  Maybe it's well-known with a patch
to be fetched from somewhere...
This is a known issue and won't get fixed until epiphany switches to the
webkit engine. The real problem is that GIO and GnomeVFS use different
settings for file associations. Epiphany and Nautilus use GIO, the gecko
engine uses gnome-vfs. The only way to set file associations for
gnome-vfs at this moment is by using the xdg-mime commandline tool.
Let's hope mozilla dumps gnomevfs soon and starts using GIO, that would
clear up a lot of things.

Ah, that explains it and then I can re-install gimp again :-)  Thanks!

Great, that worked, but only after I realised that when setting up the
association I need to use the name of the .desktop file, not the application,
and not the absolute path to the .desktop.  That is, this works:

% xdg-mime default evince.desktop application/pdf

/M