Strange problem with preferred applications (PDF)

After I installed the gimp epiphany started opening PDFs using it rather than Document Viewer (evince). At first it was easy to explain since gnome-open behaved the same way. A quick visit to Nautilus land later I had ticked Document Viewer in the Open With tab and gnome-open went back to opening PDFs using evince. However, epiphany kept on insisting on using the gimp. Even worse, epiphany would ask me if I wanted to open the PDF in Document Viewer, then it would try to open it in the gimp anyway. The only solution I came up with was to remove the gimp from my system.

This is on Arch, epiphany 2.26.2.

Has anyone else run into the same issue? Maybe it's well-known with a patch to be fetched from somewhere...

/M