Re: Idea for Syncing Epiphany Bookmarks

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 23:07:01 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:

> Edward wrote:

> As the author of epilicious I'd like to know what problems you
> experienced.
>
>> Then I had an epiphany (pun intended), why not copy the bookmark file
>> to an external network drive  and then create symbolic links and put
>> those in the original place of the bookmark files (.gnome2/epiphany/).
>> I gave it a shot and when i turned on my laptop, opened up epiphany
>> VOILA, I had all of my desktop's bookmarks in my epiphany. Brilliant!

	The OP's approach has one great virtue, iiuc : it does not
involve exposing one's bookmark stash to the Net.

	I've ignored most bookmark-synchronizing schemes, because they
all begin by assuming some master-stash on some site *not* behind one's
own defenses, and necessarily open to the perusal of the site's owner and
anyone who can crack it -- or get a subpoena.

	In view of all the awful things discussed in many places, about
how thoroughly various perpetrators can violate one's privacy just by
tracking the sites one connects to, isn't any such site inherently anti-
secure? Can epilicious, or any other app in known cyberspace, eschew all
connections external to the user's own LAN?