Re: Google Bookmarks plugin for epiphany

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Fabio Rafael da Rosa
<fabiorafael rosa gmail com> wrote:
> Em Qui, 2008-11-20 às 12:01 +0000, Magnus Therning escreveu:
>> I would personally consider using the password store to retrieve the
>> password (either from epiphany's password store or the Gnome Keyring)
>> for google bookmarks rather than pull in the cookie from the browser.
>> Requiring that the user has logged in (i.e. that there is a cookie)
>> doesn't feel right to me.  This is the direction I'm planning to take
>> epilicious in, as soon as I find some inspiration and spare time :-)
> The whole idea of using the cookie (or better, exposing the cookie in an
> easy way for other plugins to consume) is to provide a better experience
> for people that uses lots of google services. Google provides a 'Single
> Sign On' mechanism for it's services, and I think that, if the idea is
> to 'merge' epiphany on the cloud, that the way to go (for google). ON
> the future, it will be possible to implement more google-based plugins,
> all using the same login (instead of requiring a separete login/pass for
> each service). I personally think that this way we can provide a better
> experience to the user.

If single-sign-on is what you want then you really ought to use Gnome
Keyring, pull out the Google password and then push the cookie into
epiphany.  It _ought_ to be simple ;-)

>> Do you have good documentation for the google bookmarks API?  Last
>> time I looked there wasn't anything offical from Google.  I managed to
>> track down something based on a reverse-engineering effort (I think)
>> but then ran out of time/steam and didn't put it in epilicious.
> No , I don't. Google did not release any official documentation for
> google bookmarks. But, it is quite easy to use (I did the same as you
> for finding the API).
>
> I like epilicious and del.icio.us , but, we don't have an alternative
> for people that _dont_ use delicious. I know lots of people that don't
> use epiphany mainly because it does not have google toolbar. I like the
> idea of integrating google services with the browser, I personally use a
> lot of them, and that would  make my life easier, and, I think, that's
> the main point for GNOME and that's why I like epiphany: keep it simple
> and easy . That's my target audience.

I should point out that despite the name epilicious no longer supports
del.icio.us, its API was too flakey to support in the end.  Currently
it only has ma.gnolia support.

Personally I don't use any Google services that I want browser support
for so I'm clearly not in the target audience for this :-)

/M