Re: how to disable "embedded view" of pdf-files?

Hi Christian,

Op maandag 10-03-2008 om 17:55 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Christian
Saris:

> deb-package of Adobe Reader. Whenever I click on a link to a pdf-file in
> epiphany it is opened in the epiphany window (Adobe Reader seems to be
> embedded).

Yeah. That's the (pretty braindead, IMHO) Acrobat Reader mozilla plugin.

> Before I installed Adobe Reader epiphany asked me whether to open the
> file or to save it. Meanwhile I removed the Adobe Reader, because I
> really don't like it, but when I try to open the file epiphany opens a
> white window. The file isn't displayed in there.

You need to look for a file (or a symbolic link to it) called
'nppdf.so'. Remove all traces of it, and you should be fine again. It
might help to set Evince as your preferred PDF reader in the Properties
-> Open With tab of any PDF file with Nautilus.

> Does anybody know how to fix it? I just want to be asked whether I want
> to open the file or to save it.

Personally, I prefer Epiphany's automatic download & open functionality.
You can set this in the Preferences window. With this option enabled,
Epiphany will launch your PDF viewer without asking questions after the
download completes and the PDF itself will be saved in your downloads
folder.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen