Re: How to install Flashblock ?

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:04:06 +0100, Jean-Claude Tergal wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I have compiled and installed Epiphany 2.24.2.1 on my Mandriva 2009
> 64bits (using xulrunner 1.9 backend). I have also installed Flash 10
> 64bits. I used to install Flashblock by following this tutorial
> (http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany/FlashBlock), and it worked well, but
> now, it won't work anymore.
> I have followed all the steps, I have even tried to use the
> /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9/chrome/ directory, instead of the
> /usr/local/share/epiphany/chrome/ (and payed attention to the path in
> the flashblock.manifest), but nothing : Flash animations are still
> displayed...
> Do someone have an idea or a trick to help me ?

Many sites now use SWFObject or other JavaScript trickery to insert their
flash movies into their pages. Epiphany' flashblock mechanism won't block
this. Make sure you are testing uing a site that just puts an <object>
element into its HTML. The site linked to from the FlashBlock wiki page,
above, uses JavaScript (the link should really be changed)...

The page at <http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/> embeds two
Flash movies directly into its HTML, so it's a suitable page to use for
testing.