Re: Enquiry about usage of Epiphany on Kubuntu.

Hey Jorge

On 8/8/08, Jorge Gorín <jorge gorin fibertel com ar> wrote:

> Dear Sirs:
>
> First of all, I must say that I am not a regular Linux user, not even a
> casual user, I am a Windows user that took advantage from the new Ubuntu
> 8.04 version that can be installed (and uninstalled) as just another Windows
> application, so it lets me have a peek into Linux in an easy way.

Cool!, welcome :).

> (I must remain a Windows user because all the software that use for work is
> Windows-based.)
>
> Now, I first installed Ubuntu (not Kubuntu) in my notebook, and then
> installed Epiphany on it, and everything worked fine. Epiphany works OK in
> Ubuntu.
>
> Then I had to have my notebook inactive for a week or so, so I decided to
> install, in the meantime, Linux in my desktop computer using the same
> installer, wubi.exe.
>
> This installation program (wubi.exe) gives me the chance of installing
> several flavors of Linux, and my son, who is a Linux user, convinced me to
> try this time with Kubuntu, another installation alternative, which I did.

The difference between Kubuntu and Ubuntu is that the first one uses
KDE as its desktop environment, while the second one uses GNOME.
Epiphany is part of GNOME.

> So far, so good. (Or mostly so good.:-) But, when installing Epiphany, not
> from your webpage but from the Kubuntu packet handler, I then found that
> when willing to run it, Epiphany would not start, giving an error message
> that reads:
>
> **Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session.**
>
> I don't know what dbus is, neither do I know what a D-Bus session is, but
> what I know is that it was absolutely impossible for me to find anything
> alike in the Kubuntu packet installer (sorry, I am now in Windows and do not
> remember right now the name of the installer) and whatever I tried did not
> work.

D-Bus is part of the infrastructure used by the software in the "free
desktops", it's just a piece of software that allows applications to
talk to each in a nice independent way.
It's weird that you have that problem you mention, since this is a new
installation it should just work. Does this still happen after logging
out and logging in to your session? See this report:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dbus/+bug/85118

Try launching epiphany from a console (terminal), run the command
"epiphany" or "epiphany-gecko" (I think latest ubuntu uses both
names).
Another chance is to run 'dbus-launch epiphany', perhaps there's
something wrong with the application launcher (the menu shortcut).

good luck