Re: Epiphany strategy vs. Firefox

Matej Cepl wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:15:11 +0200, Daniel Schierbeck scripst:
>> I won't be able to do much coding for the next couple of weeks (work
>> overload,) but perhaps contacting the Capuchin maintainer and starting a
>> collaboration is a good first step? He's surely interested in getting
>> his project integrated with other GNOME applications.
>
> OK, I won't get any further, but I feel compelled to say just one word --
> Mono.

I personally don't have any problem with Mono existing, or people using
C#, but certainly for core Gnome stuff, it's not going to fly.  For
apps, sure, but not core stuff that all other apps are going to want to
integrate with.

He apparently originally created Capuchin in python, and then, for some
inexplicable reason, moved it to C#.  I wonder if using Vala for
Capuchin might have been a much better move: C#-like language, but
compiles to C with no runtime baggage and fits in perfectly with how
Gnome libraries are structured.

I wanted to check out the mailing list for Capuchin development, but
there apparently isn't one, and it's not under the gnome development
umbrella.