Re: Epiphany strategy vs. Firefox

Hi! I noticed an unfinished draft for this, so am touching it up and
posting (at risk of looking like a maniac thread exorcist).

I think meeting Firefox 3's notable features could be quite easy for
Epiphany because its design is very flexible already. For example, I am
working on a patch to add a "quick bookmark" button, which creates a
bookmark with the page's name and a "Miscellaneous" tag on one click,
then pops up the bookmark editor on a second click. We already have most
of the stuff in place to replicate the feature :)
(By the way, feel free to finish that before me; I have never dealt with
Epiphany's source code before, and it's probably doable as an extension
for anyone who is used to the toolbar stuff).

In terms of GNOME integration, Firefox still only manages that visually,
on first glance. Most notable to me is how Firefox's RSS subscription
works (poorly, with a select few arbitrary programs listed to use) vs.
Epiphany's nice, extensible and platform fitting d-bus method.

On that topic of smooth operations, I think one spot Epiphany needs to
catch up is installing extensions. Perhaps there could be a default
extension that handles automatically downloading and installing them?

As for making Epiphany notable, I think it is important to get it
integrating with and showing off every GNOME feature under the sun!
(Well, not every one, but all the good ones). Epiphany definitely has
the benefit of being Only For GNOME, so we have a lot more freedom and
power to make this great than with a one-size-fits-all browser such as
Firefox.
The ability to write Extensions like plugins anywhere else (with a lot
of power available thanks to being written via a "real programming
language") is definitely beneficial in that integration department,
since the core browser has always been lightweight and I would suffer
much sadness were that to change. I have recently become a fan of
Empathy, and I understand there is talk of that being popped into
programs like Epiphany. It's that kind of thing that could really go a
long way.

Oh, as for crazy features: How about the browser being able to watch
changes for bookmarked pages? It could periodically check for changes,
and when such occurs, it could promote the bookmark somehow. That could
be done via RSS feeds and page scraping. Next step would be a fancy new
bookmarks interface that allows bookmarks to be promoted naturally when
they may be of interest to the user.

Bye,
-Dylan