Re: Backends - was: ANNOUNCEMENT: The Future of Epiphany

Hello, and thanks for replying.

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 16:12 -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:

> As said in the announce, if ephy-webkit 2.24 is not user ready we will
> release ephy-gecko from 2.22 branch, that means we will just
> re-release the current stable ephy with the obvious fixes and updates.
> Don't worry :).

If ephy-gecko from 2.22 is the last one. that means Gecko in the future
in Epiphany and that will affect our decision about deploying Epiphany
(internal and third party applications are being Mozilla certified right
now), bad for us because we like a lot the GConf integration (being used
to lock down the desktop)

> Since you are a deplyoment case, we would appreciate a lot if you give
> us some concrete suggestions about how can we improve ephy for this
> cases. So we can have it in mind for the webkit port.

just a few things on top of my head

      * More lockdown options
      * Desktop integrated certificate management, currently not
        existent on GNOME, see and old proposal at
        http://www.marcanoonline.com/wiki/Desktop_Certificate_Database_Library_proposal
      * NTLM authentication support for enterprises with a mixed
        Windows/GNOME environments. I see that libsoup supports it but
        this must have configuration support on the browser, like
        enabling or disabling it, and specifying for what URIs it is
        valid for more security (see
        "network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris" config on Gecko)
      * Enable/Disable user installed extensions, I really hope any
        language interpreter respect the noexec option of mounted
        devices, but currently, users can create a python script and run
        it without setting the execute bit (python myscript.py) even
        when the filesystem is noexec. As that happens, the browser must
        be able to provide a setting and do it itself

Robert Marcano

web: http://www.marcanoonline.com/
gpg --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu/ --recv-key 72A0DCFD