Recent font strangeness with non-Western encodings

Hi all,

I love Epiphany's ability to disable the setting "Allow web pages to specify their own fonts" -- I use it all the time, setting all my web pages to render variable-width text in Bitstream Charter, which I find elegant and highly readable. I'm using the development version included in Ubuntu Feisty, currently at version 2.17.90, and I've recently noticed some strange behaviour with font rendering: a few sites such as http://www.ailab.si/orange (which specifies a Central European encoding) render in the jaggy adobe-times-medium-r-normal-* fonts.

There seem to be several potential bugs behind the scenes. One is that the Bitstream Charter font is not available in the "Variable width" list box in Edit | Preferences | Detailed Font Settings when the "For language" box is set to Central European. (But perhaps the Bitstream Charter doesn't support this character set correctly and this is expected?) But choosing "Default" in the Variable width list box has no effect for the Central European coding -- after closing and re-opening the Detailed Font Settings dialog, the option seems to be reset to "sans-serif". Yet the text displays in a serif font (jaggy Times). Surely Epiphany should at least default to the GNOME font choice?

Does anyone understand what's going on?

-- Ed