Re: smooth scrolling by default? performance?

Yes, at long last it's been added as a preference -- the functionality
has been available since the dawn of time :-) (If you're not using the
latest development release and want to have smooth scroll, go to
about:config and set "general.smoothScroll" to the boolean value "true".
Create the key if necessary.)
Oh, so it was not in the preferences gui before the 2.19.x series? That may explain why I never tried it actually :)
It's because smooth scrolling is reported to cause eye strain to some
users with LCD screens. Also the performance over remote X connections
is bad. See [1]. But most people should be just fine.
Strange, I have LCD screens and experience no such problem... Oh well :)