[lists04 fastmail fm: Re: punctuation in Epiphany]

I'm forwarding an email from the debian-user list since I've noticed the
same behaviour before but never bothered to take it up on this list.
What is happening? What is ephy "doing wrong"?

Is it fixed in 2.16?

/M

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

--- Begin Message ---
Mark Grieveson wrote:
> Hello.  On some pages, quotation marks and apostrophes are not rendered
> with Epiphany browser on my computer.  Most frequently this occurs on
> large sites which use a content management system of some sort.  For
> example, the Toronto Star's site, at www.thestar.com.  The cover-page is
> fine, but links to the various stories are not properly displayed by
> Epiphany.  I use Epiphany version 2.14.2.1, on Etch.
>
> Is there a way to correct this?  A package I could install, or
> something?  Note, these pages display fine on Firefox, but I prefer
> Epiphany.
>
> Mark

Now that you point it out I see the problem too when using Epiphany
2.14.3 (Sid). There are some "UTF" like codes which are displayed. The
codes change to "normal" characters when the Text Encoding is changed to
"Western (Windows-1252)" from the one detected by default - Western
(ISO-8859-1).

Firefox shows normal text for the ISO-8859-1 encoding (the default
content-type for the HTML page - see source). But if you change the
encoding UTF-8 or ISO-8859-15 in Firefox, you will notice the same weird
behaviour for some of the punctuation marks. It seems that Epiphany is
using the same character encoding for ISO-8859-1 as ISO-8859-15.

Does Epiphany being based on Gecko have anything to do with character
encoding being used/displayed? I'm no expert on this, but thought that
this should be pointed out as Epiphany in Etch is not the only version
showing the odd behaviour.

/kS