Re: webcore/khtml?

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 23:48 -0400, Adam Hooper wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-09 at 17:36 -0400, John Moser wrote:
>
> > I guess the simplest question is probably the best:  Why not
> > Epiphany/Webcore and Epiphany/GECKO?  Not a fork, but a back-end plug
> > architecture (Read: buzz buzz buzz) that allows users to switch their
> > rendering engine either during run (redraw the page on the new engine)
> > or with a restart.
>
> The simplest answer is also best: because it's a lot of work.

So simply, we're talking a bad cost-benefit ratio.  Obviously if there
was a benefit seen by developers, or a high enough end user demand, it'd
be done by now.

> Ages ago a proof-of-concept was written. As far as I know, GTK/Webcore
> already exists for Nokia's internet tablet, and it's open-source. Some
> Epiphany developers tried to adapt it into Epiphany (which already has
> an architecture allowing plugging in separate backends) and it worked.
> Between that and a finished product is some hard work to shake out the
> bugs and some years of debugging to make it reliable.
>
> So, technically, there's no reason not to do it. Realistically, it's a
> matter of putting in a lot of effort.

Technically there's almost no reason to do it as well, am I correct?
(besides, of course, the convenient smoke-and-mirrors ideas of "some
users prefer X to Y" and "sometimes X has bugs not in Y and vice versa")

--
John Moser <john r moser gmail com>