Re: extensions one-off activation - attach_window / detach_window the way to go?

Perhaps a bit OT, but that file doesn't exist on my computer.  I'm
running deskbar-applet 2.16.0, so I'm assuming I'm current.

That file is created when you make your first shortcut, I think.
Otherwise, the lack-of-file is treated as equivalent to an empty-file.
Or, you could just create that file manually.  The format is one
entry per line, looking like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=%s wp
Strictly speaking, that white space is actually a tab, but I don't
think that that's important.

I see on your message
(http://www.mail-archive.com/deskbar-applet-list gnome org/msg00216.html)
that one should be able to configure these in the applet itself,
however clicking More on the Web Searches only offers the default or
all available as options.  Any ideas?

I'd guess that your preferred browser (according to GNOME) is Firefox,
rather than Epiphany.  Yeah, I never got around to doing it for my
not-browser-of-choice.  You're going to have to get used to me
promising more than I deliver.  :-)

From GNOME's menu, System -> Preferences -> Preferred Applications to
change this.  I can't remember if Deskbar picks up this change
automatically (yes, I know, it should), so you might have to log out /
log in, or remove / add Deskbar, or something like that.