From: Kristoffer Lundén <kristoffer lunden gmail com >
Date: Mar 27, 2006 1:09 AM
Subject: Re: Broken display of favicon in location/tab, renders fine in Gecko
To: Christian Persch <chpe gnome org>

On 3/27/06, Christian Persch <chpe gnome org> wrote:

Perhaps opening and re-saving the favicon in an image manipulation
program would correct the error? Or maybe convert it to .png (not sure
IE supports that, though).

Heh, funny, thanks to that tip I think I know what the problem is. You see, the ico file contains three different icon sizes (I didn't know this), 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48. It's not mandatory, but is supposed to be supported by browsers too[1]. In fact the common case is to simply have 16x16, which also works.

I noticed that image viewer showed another image (it chooses 32x32 version). Then I tried opening and scaling it with gThumb, which also choose 32x32 version, and when scaling with "High quality" off, it looks exactly like it does in Epiphany.

So, in short: GDK/GTK or whatever is responsible, chooses the 32x32 pixel version although there is a 16x16 one available and then scales it to 16x16. Doesn't sound like Bug #314184, is there another bug for this? And more importantly, a way to force it to use the correct size from the start.

Quite odd since the 16x16 is the first one in the file, and even named Icon #1 when looking with the Gimp. GTK chooses the middle one, for no apparent reason.

A workaround locally for me is of course to remake the icon to only use the 16x16 version, which also seems to be the common case out there on the www, but other browsers do handle this correctly so it probably should be fixed sooner or later.

Thanks for setting me on track. =)

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Favicon#Guidelines

-- Kristoffer

--