Re: [Usability] Re: Mozilla Firefox 2.0 Chrome Changes

On 2 Mar 2006, at 15:40, Luis Villa wrote:

On 3/2/06, Kristoffer Lundén <kristoffer lunden gmail com> wrote:
On 3/2/06, Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
On 3/2/06, Kristoffer Lundén <kristoffer lunden gmail com> wrote:

Hiding the statusbar seems like a
huge mistake though, how then to verify suspect links?

So come up with a better way to do it. :)

Eh.. a better way than removing it? Keeping it, of course! Or if you
meant come up with something better that the statusbar, I don't think
that is my job. That would be the job of whoever wants it removed - I
think it's fine.

The information could be in
the mouseover popup; i could only come up when the target link in some
way doesn't match the text of the link;

How could that possibly be decided? If a link says "Go to paypal" and
the link is "paypal.bleh.com" instead of "www.paypal.com" a human can
easily see that something is wrong, but a computer? And if the link
text says "Gimme!" instead with the same links?

FWIW I have to agree; I don't much like apps that only show target URLs in tooltips, because tooltips obviously take half a second or so to appear, so it always feels like they're slowing me down. (The Mac's Mail.app is a prime offender here.) However, if the user has / chosen/ to hide the status bar (Mail.app just doesn't have one to start with, so you've no choice), it's probably quite a reasonable thing to do /instead/.

What's so crappy about the statusbar? It's an excellent place to show
extra information

It is a terrible place to show extra information, because one of the
things that usability testing has shown over and over again is that
very few people ever see information put down there.

It's certainly a terrible place to show essential or transient information. However, it can be a pretty useful place to show non- essential information in response to users' actions, which, once they've noticed it the first time, they'll know to look there for again in future.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team