Re: download manager could use improvement,

On 26 Jan, 2006, at 12:50 PM, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Sander van Loon wrote:

One of the things which I miss in Epiphany (and all other browsers which I've tried, Internet Explorer and Firefox) is a good download manager.

Keep in mind that Epiphany is primarily a web browser, and not a download manager. :) That said, the download functions Epiphany offers should work well of course.

Yes, "Epiphany is primarily a Web browser" is a reasonable argument only if Epiphany passes off downloads to some other download manager by default.

1. The download manager doesn't support resuming an incomplete download after restarting my PC.

Well, you could ask the question if it should?

Why shouldn't it? Nobody asked for the incomplete download to be rendered useless.

What should be done if the download cannot be resumed for some reason?

Then that should appear as an error message in that item's row of the download manager.

2. I also noticed that when I shut down my PC with a download still
running, I don't get a warning that my file which is being downloaded
will be lost if I shut down.

Interesting. Epiphany should probably talk to the session manager and halt the logout+shutdown process until the user has indicated if he really wants to abort the download. Please file a bug.

Maybe it could take the same approach as for the logout/shutdown itself: "If you do nothing, the download will be stopped in nn seconds."

4. I'd like to have the possibility of limiting my download speed.

I really don't think that is a job for the browser to do - I suggest that look for some bandwidth throttling software that's made for this kind of thing.

I agree that it's not the job for GUI in the browser, but it shouldn't need GUI *anywhere* -- it should just work. If another app starts using bandwidth, the bandwidth Epiphany uses should automatically lessen. And if someone else logs in on the same machine, and starts using the same network connection, the bandwidth I use should automatically lessen.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/