Re: Download folder

On 1/13/06, Reinout van Schouwen <reinouts gnome org> wrote:
> A long standing problem with downloading in Epiphany is that downloads
> "disappear" into the default Downloads folder, especially when automatic
> download/open is enabled. Bug 138876 [1] suggests that we auto-open the
> download folder after a download has completed (like File Roller does
> when it has extracted an archive). Bug 172931 [2] suggests that the
> downloads folder (whatever it is set to) is added to the Places in the
> panel (and probably Nautilus).
>
> Do you think these are good ideas? Is auto-opening the downloads folder
> too intrusive or is it a good improvement?

Personally, I don't want either, but that is because I've set my
desktop to be my homedir, and all my downloads to go to my
desktop/homedir. Both options would be very redundant as I already
have my desktop open and my homedir in places and Nautilus. (I really
recommend this setup, btw, it's extremely convenient).

Even if I didn't, I don't like auto-opening. I'd rather have a good
notification, inside Epiphany, but possibly also in any relevant
notification applet, and the option to click to open the downloads
folder. You could also make it easy to go there from within Epiphany
at anytime, by button or menu. But don't go around opening windows I
didn't ask for. =)

In file Roller, you have to explicitly ask for it, too, even though it
does the right thing and remembers your choice. I'd be fine with that,
too, as long as the default is not - as in File Roller.

I wouldn't mind places/Nautilus though, if it truly was a separate
folder (make sure to check for this). That would be a good idea.

-- Kristoffer

--
Kristoffer Lundén
✉ kristoffer lunden gmail com