Re: epiphany-list Digest, Vol 21, Issue 9

Hi;

For me, Bookmarks is epiphany.  The Bookmark icon is on my panel and I
use it to launch into the web.  I very seldom ever launch epiphany
itself.  Therefore, I would like to see more changes to the Bookmark.
see below.

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 07:31 -0500, epiphany-list-request gnome org
wrote:

>                                  From:
>         Matthew Paul Thomas
>         <mpt myrealbox com>
>                                    To:
>         Epiphany List
>         <epiphany-list gnome org>
>         Fwd: what is the reason for not
>         making epiphany the default
>         browser?
>                                  Date:
>         Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:50:43 +1300
>         (05:50 EST)
>
>         The ubuntu-devel mailing list is in the tail end of a long
>         discussion
>         about whether Epiphany should be the default browser in
>         Ubuntu. The
>         general consensus is in line with what I've said in #epiphany
>         whenever
>         anyone was listening ;-) -- that Epiphany needs to be markedly
>         better
>         than Firefox to overcome the familiarity of the Firefox name,
>         and
>         currently it isn't.

I would like to use two browsers as default browsers or have an
assignable option per application.  I use Firefox for general browsing
on various random objects, but prefer epiphany when I want to go to
known sites (usually about Linux related matters like, gnome forums,
sourceforge etc.).  I prefer to read my downloaded HTML manuals and
other documents in epiphany.  So, how can I establish rules that do one
or the other?

>         The items mentioned were (with my notes in brackets):
>         *   a Web developer extension (okay, that's not an easy one)
>         *   the lack of a search field in the toolbar (stop farting
>         around
>              pretending that people will understand search being a
>         bookmark)
* Would like web searches from the toolbar that started instantly, i.e
enter search item in bookmark, bookmark starts epiphany and immediately
searches the web.  Don't even have to see the epiphany window until the
search is completed.

* A clear distinction between a web search and a bookmark url search.

>         *   turning off rearrangable tabs (this probably isn't
>         necessary)
* Always, always produces a new window in a new tab.

>         *   fixing strangely-labelled menu items, "View" > "Popup
>         Windows" and
>              "Edit" > "Toolbars" (this one's partly my fault, since I
>         promised
>              to spec new menus and haven't gotten around to it)
* More preference options and buttons to go with them.  Confine the
choices to either/or to keep the tool bar clean.

>         *   non-ugly toolbar icons (perhaps use custom icons only if
>         Gnome's
>              default icon theme is selected -- it's not the idea of
>         using the
>              theme's icons that's ugly, it's the default theme that's
>         ugly)
>         *   Zoom Out and Zoom In buttons on the toolbar.

* On the bookmark, a one click epiphany launch.  In gnome, I have every
thing set up so the cursor hover = focus, click = launch.  Now, I have
to pause in the bookmark and remember to double click.

* The demensions and position that I set for the bookmark, when I use it
as the desktop launch engine alone, are never retained from launch to
launch.

>         Cheers
>         --
>         Matthew Paul Thomas
>         http://mpt.net.nz/

If epiphany is looking for simplicity and speed, think about how many
operations can be reduced to the bookmark.

Regards Bill