Re: Fwd: what is the reason for not making epiphany the default browser?

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 23:27 +1100, Michael Ward wrote:
> Peter Harvey wrote:
> > What is wrong with the zoom widget? I would think that new users would
> > be more confused with buttons as there is no concept of "default" or
> > "normal" zoom.
>
> Who wants to select "normal" zoom?  If a page's text is too small to
> read, I want to increase the font size; if a page's content doesn't all
> fit, I might like to decrease the font size.  Is a reference point very
> often necessary?

Personally I set the minimum font size to 8 or 9, and have virtually no
problems with websites. If I zoom in on a page I like to be able to
reset to my default settings later.

> For me, the main advantage of a list of percentages is that I can jump
> two or three levels in one go, but this takes two clicks versus one
> click on a zoom in or zoom out button.

To jump two or three levels in one go would take two or three clicks on
a zoom button. Or did I misunderstand?

> I think Evince now defaults to having zoom in and zoom out buttons, or
> at least that's my current configuration there.  Ironically this is a
> program that /can/ benefit from more precise options such as "original
> size" and "fit width", but then I think it also has icons for that, as
> well as very easily accessible menu items.

Evince is an application where zooming is a common operation, so having
such options makes more sense there.

> Edit->Preferences is a silly place to put a menu in my opinion.
> Applications that do the menu bar well have a menu for every major
> object that can have actions applied to it (e.g. Program, File, Tabs,
> Tools, etc.).  I think they are actually best when thought of as
> glorified context menus.  In this case, the preferences either fall
> under /Program Name/->Preferences, Program->Preferences, or a top-level
> Preferences menu (or why not just "Settings"?).

I agree with that, but in a document-centric application (which Epiphany
tries to be) it is difficult to justify a Program menu. And a
Preferences menu seems overkill as "setting your preferences" isn't
meant to be a set of functions that you use frequently. Edit/Preferences
only makes sense to me as it is similar to Edit/PersonalData.

Regards,
Peter.