Fwd: what is the reason for not making epiphany the default browser?

The ubuntu-devel mailing list is in the tail end of a long discussion about whether Epiphany should be the default browser in Ubuntu. The general consensus is in line with what I've said in #epiphany whenever anyone was listening ;-) -- that Epiphany needs to be markedly better than Firefox to overcome the familiarity of the Firefox name, and currently it isn't.

One message stood out for me as it contained several ways in which Epiphany could easily improve. <http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-January/ 014421.html>

The items mentioned were (with my notes in brackets):
*   a Web developer extension (okay, that's not an easy one)
*   the lack of a search field in the toolbar (stop farting around
    pretending that people will understand search being a bookmark)
*   turning off rearrangable tabs (this probably isn't necessary)
*   fixing strangely-labelled menu items, "View" > "Popup Windows" and
    "Edit" > "Toolbars" (this one's partly my fault, since I promised
    to spec new menus and haven't gotten around to it)
*   non-ugly toolbar icons (perhaps use custom icons only if Gnome's
    default icon theme is selected -- it's not the idea of using the
    theme's icons that's ugly, it's the default theme that's ugly)
*   Zoom Out and Zoom In buttons on the toolbar.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/