Re: [Usability] Requesting mini-UI review for Epiphany toolbar patch

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 11:34 +0000, Simon Howard wrote:
> On 2/19/06, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:
> >
> > Both the before and after versions of the View ->
> > Toolbars menu are inconsistent.
> >
> > If a 'Show...' item has a tick, then it's something
> > that is currently visible, and I untick to hide it.
> > When it's hidden, the tick is gone and the menu item
> > text is the same, 'Show....'.
> >
> > But the main control (the after version) seems to be a
> > menu toggle, where if it's hidden the text reads
> > 'Show...' and if it's visible, the text reads
> > 'Hide...'.
> >
> > You're mixing two types of menu control here.
> > I would put 'Show Toolbars' at the top of the submenu,
> > and when it is unticked, grey out the individual items
> > beneath it but keep their ticks.
>
> I think these are before and after the patch was applied.  i.e. the
> "before" pictures are how the Epiphany menus previously appeared, and
> the "after" pictures are how they appear now.
>
> How about changing "hide toolbars" to "hide all toolbars" to make it
> abundantly clear this is an action and to distinguish it from the
> "show xyz" menu entries above it?

Yep, would be happy to do that label change.

But to make it clear, the "Hide Toolbars" menuitem is a regular toggle
and not an action. I've posted another screenshot to the webpage to show
it clearly, and to show how it overrides the "Show" toggles. Sorry for
not doing that earlier.
  http://home.exetel.com.au/harvey/epiphany/toolbar/After_Toggled.jpg

The use-case for "Hide Toolbars" is that you want to quickly show/hide
your collection of selected toolbars, particularly via Ctrl+Shift+T. It
also gives the user a way to reverse any manipulations (via Javascript)
of the visibility of the toolbar. So what I've tried to do is allow the
user to show/hide individual toolbars *and* temporarily show/hide the
whole set of them without disturbing the individual selections.

If necessary I can make the "Show" toggles insensitive when "Hide
Toolbars" is active, to make it abundantly clear that they've been
overridden. Other alternatives are more than welcome, as I'm otherwise
stumped. :)

Thanks,
Peter.