Re: Fwd: what is the reason for not making epiphany the default browser?

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 13:30 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> Why can't we just do whatever Firefox does?  How does it handle the
> German file menu?
>
> > Personally I have _never_ used alt+d to get to the location entry in any
> > browser, looking at IE it isn't at all clear that that is what it does.
> > Perhaps it works in IE as the German A_ddress text is translated to
> > something else with a different accel ?
>
> It does the exact same thing in IE as Firefox.  And lots of users do use
> it.

Personally I don't agree with using Alt+D. But some good points were
made on the nautilus lise about why Windows uses it:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2005-August/msg00214.html

To summarise, Windows has the label of their location entry field as
"A_ddress:" and so Alt+D is a normal accelerator. They guess that the
translators ensure that their chosen accelerator doesn't conflict with
any other menus.

However, this is a very odd way to use Alt+ keys in a window that is not
a dialog, which is why I'm against it. Considering that Firefox uses
Ctrl+L the same way we do, and IE opens a dialog to do effectively the
same thing, I'd prefer to maintain consistency and use Ctrl+L only.
Otherwise we should technically bind Alt+S for Stop and Alt+F for
Forward and ... Remember we are going for standards compliance. Either
agree with the standard or change the standard.

Anyway, if we decide to support Alt+D for the location entry widget, it
should be named 'A_ddress:' and translated appropriately.

Regards,
Peter.