Re: Default font sizes are very small

On 4/3/06, Braden McDaniel <braden endoframe com> wrote:
> Sites that do specify a default font size renders exactly the same as
> in Firefox, and very similar to other browsers. Problem here is that
> when this information is missing, all other browsers behave about the
> same, but not Epiphany, which defaults to a much smaller resolution as
> basis. This has absolutely nothing to do with what Google uses, as it
> is common all over the web, and is totally apt in all other browsers.

Have you checked to see what GNOME's font renderer thinks your
resolution is per my previous response to you?

Very different. A widescreen laptop I have reports 98x99 DPI, a work station with an old 4:3 monitor 75x75. Both seem reasonable, but I don't know for sure. It seems totally beside the point though, because the result in Epiphany and FF are similar on all machines.

Do you have Firefox configured to use the resolution reported by X?
(Preferences->Content->Fonts & Colors->Advanced...->Display Resolution)

No. Says 96 on both the above machines. Again, doesn't seem to matter, FF does the right thing one way or the other.

>From what you've said so far, it sounds like the most likely cause is
that Epiphany and Firefox don't agree on what they think your resolution
is.

I don't know. All I know is that it does something differently from all other browsers I've seen or tried, and I do not really care about underlying technical reasons. Setting a different default fontsize may only be hiding the symptoms and not fixing anything, but it would be better than doing nothing. And then those who do know what reasons actually may be causing this can work on a long term fix as much as they want.

-- Kristoffer

--
Kristoffer Lundén
kristoffer lunden gmail com