Why isn't the status-bar visible or available in fullscreen mode?

I realise the advantage of fullscreen mode is maximizing screen real
estate, but I find fullscreen mode fairly unusable without being able to
see the status-bar.

The status-bar gives vital feedback to the user on what the browser is
doing. Plus it doesn't take up much room.

I would like to see the status-bar visible by default in fullscreen mode
or at least given the option to be able to see it.

Lex.