Re: Epiphany 1.6.0

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 02:55 +0000, adel wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 01:39 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Christian Persch wrote:
> >
> > > Epiphany 1.6.0 is the first release in the stable series for GNOME 2.10.
> >
> > Congratulations to all contributors!
> >
> seems Mozilla Suite gonna die, so I downloaded Epiphany today (Firefox
> is not stable enough for me).
> well... what to say? do Edit->Toolbar and watch the crash.

Obviously, this is abnormal. On my Ubuntu and Debian+jhbuild builds, I
see no such crashes. Maybe download the binaries from your distributor?
Or apply the Mozilla patches referenced at
http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany and/or read the FAQ at
http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany (I don't know if it'll have the answer,
but it does give some ./configure arguments...).

I seem to remember this crash at *some* point way back when on my
computer. I seem to recall it was something silly like a bug in my GTK
theme. I could be completely wrong, though.

> middle click doesn't close tags even if I did "about:config" thing.

close tags?

> when I open many tabs it's hide on left and rights sides, people it's
> against usability, you should resize tabs to fit browser instead of show
> arrows.

This one annoys me, too. I just tried for 5 minutes to whip up a little
bit of Python code to resize the labels, but it wasn't especially
trivial. That's not to say it's hard, either; an extension is probably
the way to go.

> when I open new tab, location bar doesn't get focused.

Workaround: hit Ctrl-L. So it's "Ctrl-T Ctrl-L". (If I recall correctly,
this is a Mozilla problem: http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany_2fMozillaBugs)

> why you open homepage every time I open tab? it's slow down the browser,
> people who wants to visit homepage will click "home" icon on toolbar.
> why I find back/forward/reload in right click menu, toolbar and under
> "go" menu?

Dunno about the homepage (mine is about:blank). And the excessive
back/forward/reload are nice for me at least; I find myself using all of
them fairly often, as well as mouse gestures. (Well, I don't use the Go
menu's entries, but they're useful anyway because they let you discover
the keyboard shortcuts.)

Of course, it's a no-brainer to remove those menu entries from the
source code. I'm unsure as to whether the feat could be accomplished
using an extension, though.

> you should work on right click menu too, it must include only
> "menu_items" that related to document I browse and not to the browser,
> for example, "back/forward/reload" is related to browser functions but
> "views source code", "select all" and "text encoding" is related to
> document and should be in right click.

The menus should have the fewest, most useful entries possible. While
*I* also find "view source" useful, it *certainly* doesn't belong in the
context menu. But you could add it with an extension....

> "text encoding" top head menu must have "characters encoding" that
> Epiphany detected of current document then most used five "characters
> encoding", the "Other" should be sub menu include all "characters
> encoding" splitted the same way Mozilla Suite do, it's easier!

That would involve more than one level of sub-menus -- a UI no-no. Maybe
the splitting would work well, I wouldn't know (I never use the menu).

> if possible, replace dialog that say "cannot find page" with nice html
> page, include tips and suggests like "make sure your address is correct"
> and some inputs to search google.

That's in the works.
http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany_2fFeatureDesign_2fErrorPages

> a question to developers, when you change something in Epiphany source
> code, how to do you test it? I don't think you do "./configure && make
> && make install" every time you change something.

I do. I don't hack at it as much as Crispin or Christian though. Maybe
they do something else.

If you want to change Epiphany's behavior, you should consider using the
Python console to develop Python extensions. It's SO much easier to play
around with than C code (interactive console vs. edit/compile/run
madness). After you've figured out the behavior you want, you can then
flesh out your console session into a Python extension rather
painlessly, or you can develop a C extension. Python and C extensions
can be loaded/unloaded while Epiphany is running (though buggy
extensions are able to crash Epiphany, especially C ones).

Details:
- Python Console overview:
http://www.adamhooper.com:4242/epiphany-extensions/python-console.xhtml
- Extension-writing HOWTO: