Re: Remember Window Position

Magnus Therning <magnus therning org> writes:

> point me to the Gnome philosophy on this.

Well, as metacity is gnomes' window manager, it should seem
obvious;). State information about an object is not contained in the
window manager.

>  http://www.collaborium.org/onsite/jos2000/related/guides/gnome/wm.html

This site says "GNOME is not dependent on any one window manager. This
means that major parts of your desktop environment will not change
when you decide to switch window managers.".

By placement, I would assume that means that the window manager of
course place the window, but with the position requested by the
application, if any state data is available.

>  1. It's the window managers job to place windows

Sure, the initial placement, before any state information exist, is up
to the window manager.

> Not even GIMP

It sure does. It saves state information on window positions. Same
does nautilus. Imagine the window manager having to database all the
positions of every "folder. Then when you changed window manager,
you'd have to do it all over again. This information belongs to the
object.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m