Re: Browser Bookmarks Menu (Gnome Applet) 0.2

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 17:57 -0500, Adam Hooper wrote:
> > PS. What I would like is having the bookmarks system of Epiphany
> > separated out as a CORBA object to be shared by applets/browsers/etc.
> > The presentation of bookmarks in Epiphany is then an optional extension.
> > The heavy dependency in Epiphany on EphyNodes makes this unlikely
> > though.
>
> This would be *so* awesome. Maybe it could be integrated with
> evolution-data-server? IMO duplicating EphyNode code to integrate
> bookmarks somewhere else is totally worthwhile. (Isn't most of EphyNode
> just for bookmarks anyway?)

Integration with e-d-s or similar would be perfect. Integrating with
e-d-s might cause problems (if people don't want to use Evolution, why
must people use e-d-s just to get bookmarks in Epiphany?).

You're right that most of the EphyNode stuff is for bookmarks. But it
also supports the history system (maybe this can be farmed out as
well?). I seem to recall complex data structures like EphyNode are a
pita to use with CORBA. They may have to be reduce to just integers
which are used to lookup information.

If we were to write a CORBA server we would also need to document the
concept of 'what is a bookmark' and 'what is a topic'. One or both of
the following would have to take place:
      * All users accepting 'topics' in place of folders.
      * Introducing code to allow 'subtopics'. IMHO if topic A has
        'subtopic' B, then all bookmarks that belong to B must belong to
        A. Nothing more restrictive than that.

Anyway, is a project to think about. Would make implementing an applet
like Nigel's a little harder, but I think a lot better technically.