Re: Browser Bookmarks Menu (Gnome Applet) 0.2

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 09:47 +1100, Peter Harvey wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 17:09 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> > cc: epiphany-list
> >
> > On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Nigel Tao wrote:
> >
> > > Version 0.2 now supports Epiphany and Mozilla, as well as Firefox.
> >
> > Interesting. Are you proposing this applet for GNOME 2.10?
> > If that is the case, perhaps we could use it instead of the Bookmarks
> > menu in Epiphany (which always was somewhat bolted on in the first
> > place).
> >
> > Pete, would this be compatible with your automated bookmarks hierarchy
> > system?
>
> I haven't looked at the applet code, but I can't foresee any problems.
> The core of my code is:
>       * ephy-nodes-cover which determines which topics to use to build
>         the hierarchy
>       * ephy-bookmarks-menu which determines when to build submenus and
>         when to build subdivisions.
> Even if they aren't able to be used directly, they should be able to be
> ported easily enough.

The python applet just parses the .rdf file, so yeah, it would have to
be ported (which sucks, since changes to Epiphany's algorithms would
necessitate changes to the applet's algorithms). Ideally it would
communicate with Epiphany....

http://sourceforge.net/projects/browserbookapp/

> PS. What I would like is having the bookmarks system of Epiphany
> separated out as a CORBA object to be shared by applets/browsers/etc.
> The presentation of bookmarks in Epiphany is then an optional extension.
> The heavy dependency in Epiphany on EphyNodes makes this unlikely
> though.

This would be *so* awesome. Maybe it could be integrated with
evolution-data-server? IMO duplicating EphyNode code to integrate
bookmarks somewhere else is totally worthwhile. (Isn't most of EphyNode
just for bookmarks anyway?)

--
Adam Hooper <adamh densi com>